Introduction to PHP
PHP is the most common widely used popular website worldwide there is a lot of reason behind this but the major one is its open source and has huge development in its lot of forums and frameworks in it you have a variety of solutions for all problems. PHP is a very powerful language yet easy to learn and use. There are a lot of frameworks and CMS also most common in the industry are based on PHP especially the most common CMS WordPress most widely used in the world is also developed in PHP.
If you are planning to be a developer or software engineer and willing to learn languages, then PHP is the best one you can choose there are also a lot of other languages as well you can learn an anyone programming language and you can easily shift from one to another as the basis of all the languages.
If you have the grip on one language you can easily learn another language all languages have their own importance but the most important now and in future are Java Python (is most relevant to PHP) so if you are willing to be a backend developer you must adopt knowledge of object-oriented programing languages.
PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor. PHP is a very popular and widely-used open source server-side scripting language to write dynamically generated web pages. PHP was originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994. It was initially known as Personal Home Page.
PHP Latest version now in the market is PHP 7 have a lot of updated features in it.
Here is basic introduction and overview of PHP before moving a step forward to start any programming in PHP we will see its history overview.
PHP scripts are executed on the server and the result is sent to the web browser as plain HTML. PHP can be integrated with the number of popular databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, and so on.
PHP Functional Overview
There are lot of functionalities you can do with PHP few are listed below.
- You can generate pages and files dynamically.
- You can create, open, read, write and close files on the server.
- You can collect data from a web form such as user information, email, phone no, etc.
- You can send emails to the users of your website.
- You can send and receive cookies to track the visitor of your website.
- You can store, delete, and modify information in your database.
- You can restrict unauthorized access to your website.
- You can encrypt data for safe transmission over the internet.
The list does not end here, there are many other interesting things that you can do with PHP.
Advantages of PHP
If you’re familiar with other server-side languages like ASP.NET or Java, you might be wondering what makes PHP so special. There are several advantages why one should choose PHP.
- Easy to learn: PHP is easy to learn and use. For beginner programmers who just started out in web development, PHP is often considered as the preferable choice of language to learn.
- Open source: PHP is an open-source project. It is developed and maintained by a worldwide community of developers who make its source code freely available to download and use.
- Portability: PHP runs on various platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and it is compatible with almost all servers used today such Apache, IIS, etc.
- Fast Performance: Scripts written in PHP usually execute or runs faster than those written in other scripting languages like ASP, Ruby, Python, Java, etc.
- Vast Community: Since PHP is supported by the worldwide community, finding help or documentation related to PHP online is extremely easy.
The most popular websites of the century like Facebook, Yahoo, Flickr, and Wikipedia are built using PHP most of the major content management systems (CMS), such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and Magento are also built in PHP.